Panopto is the lecture recording system used throughout the Law School classrooms.
- To begin, open the NYU LMS (Brightspace) course site of the class you want to record.
- Then click on More Tools in the top menu bar and select Panopto Course Folder. This will open a new browser tab or window.
- Next, click the Create button located at the top and then Scheduled recording.
- We recommend entering the Session Name using the following convention:
- Classroom_Start time_Course name_Professor_Date
- Then under Source > Primary remote recorder select your classroom from the dropdown list. (Leave Secondary remote recorder as None Selected)
- Under Schedule, choose the date you want to record.
- Then click Enter times manually. This will allow you to enter the Start and End times manually.
- Recordings should begin two minutes before class starts and end two minutes after class ends.
- For example, if your class starts at 10:00 AM enter 9:58 AM in the Start time.
- If your class ends at 1:00 PM enter 1:02 PM in the End time.
- Next, under Options click the Webcast Session checkbox.
- To finish, scroll down and click the Create button.
- Click the X button to close the confirmation window.
You can display your scheduled recordings by clicking the Show scheduled recordings checkbox located near the top of the Panopto course folder page. From there you can edit or delete as needed.
Restricting Access to Recordings
The following steps will set the default availability of Panopto recording in your course folder to never so that students will not automatically have access to them. You can then later change the folder settings using the same procedure or make individual recordings available as needed.
- To begin, log into NYU LMS and open your course site.
- Then click on More Tools in the top menu bar and select Panopto Course Folder in the dropdown. A new window or tab will open to your course’s Panopto folder.
- Next, click on the cog icon located in the upper right corner.
- Then select Settings in the side menu.
- Under the section Availability, change the default “Sessions become available” to “never” by clicking the radio button.
- Close the popup window using the X in the upper right corner.
For more information or help, please contact NYU Law Media Services at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone (212) 998-6317.