NYU Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) adds a second layer of security to help prevent anyone other than you from accessing your sensitive information online. The service NYU uses for MFA is called Duo.
There are two components to setting up NYU Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): the NYU Start Page and Login, where you will set up your account and enroll a device; and Duo, an app you will install on your smart device and which you will use to authenticate for NYU services after you’ve completed set-up.
Set Up Your MFA Account
- Go to start.nyu.edu and click Log In, then log in using your NYU NetID and password.
- Click Start setup.
- Select your device type and click Continue. A smartphone, iPad, or Android tablet provides the best experience.
- Select your Country from the drop-down list. If you are enrolling a smartphone, enter your phone number. If you’re enrolling a tablet, you will not be prompted to enter a phone number. Click Continue.
- Choose your device’s Operating system and click Continue. At this point, you will see a barcode that you will scan to connect Duo to your NYU account. Now it’s time to install Duo Mobile on your device.
Install and Link Duo Mobile on Your Device
- On the device you entered above, download the Duo app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Open Duo and click +. This will open Duo’s barcode scanner. Point it at the QR code. When complete, the account “New York University” will appear in Duo and a green check will appear on the QR code. Click Continue.
- Can’t scan the barcode? Click Or have an activation link emailed to you instead and follow the instructions.