The Announcements tool enables you to create news items that help communicate course updates, changes, and new information to your users quickly and effectively.
Create an Announcements item
- In your course site, click Announcements in the top menu bar or within the widget, then click New Announcement.
- Enter a Headline and Content for your announcement.
- If you want to hide your headline’s date and time, clear the Always show start date check box. By default, an announcement’s start date and time appears below the headline when displayed in the Announcements widget.
- In the Start Date and End Date fields, select the posting availability date. Announcements items publish immediately, unless you specify an alternate start date from Start Date.
Note: Post-dated Announcements items do not display in the Announcements widget even if users have permission to see future Announcements items. They can be found within the list of Announcements items on the Announcements page.
- You can remove an Announcements item on a specific date by selecting the Remove Announcements item based on end date check box. You and administrators can still see the Announcements item after its end date, but it does not appear in the Announcements widget.
- In the Attachments section, add attachments, audio recordings, and video recordings as part of your Announcements item.
- When recording audio or video for the first time, your browser may prompt you to allow access to your computer’s microphone and webcam.
- To include additional release conditions, click Attach Existing or Create and Attach.
- To continue editing the Announcements item, click Save as Draft. Students cannot see draft Announcements items. To release Announcements item to users, click Publish.
Edit an Announcements item
- Click on the dropdown next to the message you want to edit within the Announcements widget
- Or click Announcements in the widget/menu bar to view all announcements, then click the Announcements item that you want to edit.
- Edit your Announcements posting.
- To inform users of major changes and updates to postings that they might have dismissed, ensuring that those headlines reappear with current information, select the Major edit – send a notification and restore it for those who dismissed it check box.
You can also make the edited Announcements posting reappear at the top of the Announcements widget by changing the start date to the current date and time.
- Click Update.
Delete an Announcements item
Do one of the following:
- From the dropdown menu of the Announcements item you want to delete, click Delete.
- To delete multiple postings, click Announcements in the widget or top menu bar, then select the check boxes beside the Announcements item you want to delete. Click Delete at the top of the list.